When it comes to skincare, men often overlook its importance and consider it 'not for them' or 'unnecessary.' This mindset is a stark contrast to the reality that our skin, the body's largest organ, is constantly exposed to external aggressors like pollution, UV rays, and daily wear and tear.
Most men don’t spend enough time taking care of their skin, which can lead to a range of problems in the future. From premature wrinkles to sunspots, and from dry patches to oily zones, neglecting skincare can manifest in various ways.
You may not think that a skincare routine is necessary, especially if you've been blessed with naturally good skin. However, just like maintaining a car or a house, preventative care is always easier and more effective than trying to fix issues after they arise. A daily skincare regimen can help prevent acne, reduce the signs of aging, and improve overall skin texture and tone.
It's not just about looking good, it's about feeling good too. Healthy skin can boost confidence, make you feel more refreshed, and even contribute to better overall health.
Moreover, the modern man is becoming increasingly aware of the benefits of self-care and grooming. Skincare is not just a 'women's thing', it's a human thing.
Below we provide an easy-to-follow step-by-step skincare routine for guys, providing valuable tips and tricks to help you build the best face skincare regimen for you.
The best face skincare routine for men
- Understand Your Skin Type
- Cleanse Daily
- Exfoliate Regularly
- Moisturise Daily
- Use Targeted Treatments
1. Understand Your Skin Type
The first step to creating a successful skincare routine for guys is to understand your skin type.
Men’s skin tends to be thicker and oilier than women’s, which means that it can handle more exfoliation and stronger products. However, that doesn’t mean that all men have the same skin type. Some men may have dry skin, while others have sensitive skin. It’s important to know what your skin type is, so you can choose products and ingredients that work best for you.
All skin types can benefit from a more structured routine, but the different types can have different needs.
There are five primary types of skin:
- Oily skin
- Dry skin
- Normal skin
- Combination skin
- Sensitive skin
These skin types are determined based on the amount of sebum (oil) your skin produces. If it’s a lot and your face often appears greasy and shiny, then you could have the oily skin type. If you have patches of dry and some areas of oily – particularly in the T-zone – then you could have the combination skin type.
It’s worth bearing in mind that your skin’s level of oil production can change over time and is influenced by a range of factors such as hormones, stress, genetics, humidity and ageing.
- Cleanse Daily
Cleansing your face is an essential step as it helps to remove dirt and oil that can clog pores and cause breakouts.
You should aim to wash your face twice a day, once in the morning and again before bed, using a gentle cleanser that won’t strip your skin of its natural oils.
If you have oily skin, look for a cleanser with stronger properties. For dry skin, choose a product that contains hydrating ingredients like hyaluronic acid. For those with more sensitive skin, stick to natural products with softer ingredients.
Our Activated Charcoal Cleanser is a great option, particularly for those with oily and combination skin. Activated Charcoal has amazing absorption properties, it draws bacteria, dirt and other micro-particles to the surface of skin, helping to achieve a flawless complexion and fight acne.
To find out more, read out guide: The Benefits of Activated Charcoal for Men's Skin
- Exfoliate Regularly
Exfoliating your skin is another important step in a men’s skincare routine as it helps to remove layers of dead skin that can clog pores and lead to breakouts.
Depending on your skin type, you can exfoliate one to three times a week. Men can handle stronger exfoliants like glycolic acid or salicylic acid.
Exfoliating also helps improve skin texture and tone. When it comes to physical exfoliants, ensure the exfoliant isn't damaging the skin.
Our Exfoliating Face Scrub uses a micro exfoliant to ensure it clears dead skin and dirt, but doesn't damage healthy skin cells. It contains a natural pumice stone to aid with removing dead skin and clearing out dirty skin pores, and includes vitamin E, oat extract and witch hazel.
To find out more, read our guide: Why should you exfoliate?
- Moisturise Daily
Moisturising should be a crucial component of your skincare routine. Applying a moisturiser to your skin will help improve hydration and protect it from the elements.
Look for a moisturiser that contains sunscreen (SPF) to help protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
If you have oily skin, choose a lightweight, oil-free moisturiser. For dry skin, use a product with hydrating ingredients like shea butter and aloe vera.
Our Anti-Fatigue Moisturiser is a natural and powerful moisturiser that helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, while firming and toning the skin to reveal a radiant and healthy-looking complexion.
- Use Targeted Treatments
If you have specific skin concerns like acne, dark spots, or fine lines, you may want to incorporate targeted treatments into your skincare routine.
This could include face masks, professional facials or just using stronger products.
If you have particularly dry or sensitive skin, you may also need to develop a more targeted skincare routine for your face.
Dry skin routine for men
Having dry skin can be a challenge, especially for guys who may not be accustomed to a regular skincare routine.
The tightness, flakiness and occasional itchiness that comes with dry skin can be uncomfortable and can even affect your confidence.
However, with the right care and attention you can combat dry skin and achieve a healthy, hydrated complexion. Here are some quick tips to help you develop an effective skincare routine for dry skin:
- Gentle Cleansing: Avoid harsh soaps or face washes that strip your skin of its natural oils. Instead, look for a mild, hydrating cleanser that cleans without drying out your skin.
- Moisturise Regularly: Invest in a good quality moisturiser that is specifically formulated for dry skin. Apply it twice daily, once in the morning and once before bed, to lock in moisture.
- Stay Hydrated: Drinking plenty of water throughout the day can help maintain your skins hydration from the inside out. Aim for 6-8 glasses per day if you can.
- Avoid Hot Showers: We may all enjoy a hot shower, but the hot water can strip your skin of its natural oils, which exacerbates dryness. If you can, turn the temperature down a bit and shower in lukewarm water as much as possible – but especially when washing your face and neck.
- Exfoliate Weekly: Dead skin cells can accumulate on the skin's surface and make it look dull. Use a gentle exfoliant once a week to remove these cells and promote skin renewal.
- Use a Humidifier: If you live in a dry climate or use heaters during the winter, consider using a humidifier in your bedroom to add moisture to the air.
- Protect Your Skin: Before stepping out in the sun make sure you apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen. Even if it's cloudy, UV rays can further dry out and damage your skin.
- Limit Alcohol and Caffeine: Both substances can dry out and dehydrate your skin. If you do consume them, try to balance out the effect by drinking extra water.
To learn more, read our guide: How To Get Rid of Dry Skin
Sensitive skincare routine for men
Sensitive skin can be both a blessing and a curse. While it often has a soft, fine texture it can also react adversely to products, environmental factors or even the food you eat.
Redness, itching, burning and breakouts can be the telltale signs of sensitive skin. But fear not, with the right care you can keep your skin calm and radiant. Here are some essential skincare tips for men with sensitive skin:
- Patch Test New Products: Before applying a new product all over your face, test it on a small patch of skin, preferably behind the ear or on the inner wrist, to check for any adverse reactions.
- Go Fragrance-Free: Fragrances, both natural and synthetic, can sometimes be irritants for sensitive skin. Look for products labelled "fragrance-free" or "for sensitive skin."
- Simplify Your Routine: Less is always more for men with sensitive skin. Stick to essential products and avoid layering too many at once.
- Gentle Cleansing: Avoid cleansers that contain harsh detergents. A mild, sulphate-free cleanser will clean without irritating your skin.
- Moisturise Daily: A hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic moisturiser can help maintain the skin's natural barrier, preventing irritants from penetrating it.
- Limit Exfoliation: While exfoliation can be useful, overdoing it can irritate sensitive skin. Always use a gentle exfoliant and do so sparingly, perhaps once every two weeks.
- Avoid Extreme Temperatures: Sudden changes in temperature can trigger flare-ups for sensitive skin. Whether it's a hot shower or cold wind, always look to protect your skin from extreme conditions.
- Wear Sunscreen: UV rays are not your friend if you have sensitive skin. Choose a mineral-based sunscreen with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, which sits on the skin's surface and deflects rays, rather than absorbing them.
- Consult a Dermatologist: If you're unsure about what's causing your skin's sensitivity or if you experience severe reactions, it's always best to consult with a skincare professional.
Building the best skincare routine for men may seem intimidating, but it's an important part of your overall self-care. Understanding your skin type, cleansing, exfoliating, moisturising, and using targeted treatments can lead to healthier, clearer skin.
Don't be afraid to experiment with different products and ingredients to find what works best for you. A little extra effort now can lead to long-term benefits and a better-looking complexion.
Take a look at our Full Maintenance Kit - it has all the necessary products to keep you looking and feeling your best https://www.fort-men.co.uk/products/full-maintenance-kit